Tuesday 17 January 2012

In spate





Dartmoor has been in spate recently, as have I. Beautiful, holy, filthy, cleansing water has poured from us and we are better for it. We have what we need to grow. Our usual roads have become flooded, or blocked by fallen trees, decades old, which cannot withstand this day. It is sad to see them go, but what can we do but chainsaw them up and get things moving again?


An eerie hailstorm hovered on the horizon when Pickle and I emerged for our morning walk. I faltered, but she would not turn from the wind, opening her mouth wide to be filled with its power. We walked out, she in the moment of  skittish leaves and rolling bins, me with one eye on the new world of colour creeping closer.

Just as we got to the bottom of our hill, home almost within sight, the heavens heaved and crystals of burning cold ice whirled round us, whisking inside sleeves and forcing eyes shut. Even Pickle wanted to be carried, her head under my wing, the sky suddenly less friendly than she can remember. And I, so full of anxiety projected onto this massive cloud a moment before, felt a honeyed relief. The ice had come, it had stung us like a swarm of Narnian bees, but I could shelter my girl and keep walking up the hill. I could get us home safe. I can't tell you how much I want to get us all home safe.






And we have had days of light too. More than we dare expect of such a season. We drove to the centre of the moor for pub grub and, more importantly, this view:





I could stand there all day. A moment before I took this a herd of ponies galloped across the road and swirled in eddies below me, the wind flowing through them from mane to tail.

Standing here reminds me of being in the same spot, feeling the same awe and gratitude for this space, this gluttonous quantity of healthy land, when behind me I heard the rustle of a map and a man say, 'This is definitely the place, but why's it a viewpoint? There's nothing here.' I wonder how often I fail to appreciate unsignposted wonders.





Light has come in other ways too, from our friends locally, far away, and through the big eye of this interweb creature. Those of you who read this post will understand how touched I was to receive this:


It will be treasured. These days will be treasured. I may be scared, but I am awake, and the world is full of love.

15 comments:

  1. He was looking for the specific and missing the Whole!

    Pity you just missed the ponies with your camera, but even without them you can just soak in the immensity of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that. LOVE.

    Keep stomping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write from the heart sweet lovely Lunar and that is why I love reading your blog.Can I do anything for you? Cook a dinner and ( I was going to say bring it up but that has other associations that we don't want) Give you shelter? Oh I don't know anything? Something? If not I will send you a really naff greeting card with inane thoughts and wishy washy graphics hoping life gets easier soon. Your call sister.xxlove from the bottom of the hillxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beauty of your landscape has knocked me for a loop. I'm with you. I would stand atop that point, looking across the moor, all day. Absolutely breathtaking. And that gushing water? Unbelievable. Such heartfelt words, Lunar. Such kindness. Such bravery. Across the world, I am sending you my good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lunar. Your words and photos feed my soul. I've been pining for an expanse of wildness lately. I feel guilty that I can't see all of nature reflected in a single tree, but I need more than that. Thanks for letting me walk through your world for a moment.
    Love,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies.
    Rachel, maybe I'll call you when I'm stressed and crabby and we can take tea and cake together in a medicinal way. Rolling some love down the hill to you (and a biscuit).
    MSB, I am eager to catch up on your doings and love this connection with you. Thank you.
    Crystal, you are welcome in my world and no part of nature needs to feel guilty - which includes you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a small note to say I'm thinking of you, from a few doors away, on a quiet Friday morning, Lunar. You've turned this blog into something truly lovely and special, despite everything else you've been coping with, and I wanted to say I admire your creativity and courage. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Terri, for finding heart for me and mine from within your own vortex. Sending love your way too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. whatever may help you through this,anything and everything,is wished for you,blessings from far away

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hear, Hear Terri! Lunar your writings constantly inspire me, you gave me the confidence to pick up my pen again. You shine A light through difficult times, Pickle must be the proudest little girl in town. My love and thoughts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful. I would love to read your pennings when they feel ready for a public outing (or a private preview). Love to you too xx

      Delete
  12. Lovely to read and see and almost be able to feel that crisp cold weather .. I loved that last line .. so inspiring .. am off to scribble it on my wall so I can read it again and again as I potter about the flat :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of you scribbling my words on your wall. And am envious of pottering time, although I find myself doing it anyway. Thank you Nazneen xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...