Tuesday 22 November 2011

Big Lips: The Clown and poor Pickle

My story's being broadcast on the radio tonight! I haven't been so famous since I was on Songs of Praise with my school choir. (Did I just type that out loud?) It's Soundart Radio, only available locally, (okay, not even as famous as my few minutes intoning Laudate Dominum in an excruciating haircut, blouse and blazer combo), at 7:30 tonight (It's Tuesday), but everyone can access it online via this link. It's called 'The Clown' and I remember thinking it was funny in parts when I submitted it eons ago. I will be making myself listen, even though it might be like hearing my own voice on an answering machine. I had the option of reading it myself, but I'd rather have my tongue pulled out my eye, so someone more competent will be doing that. And I should mention that it has the great quality of being short.

I'm almost 9,500 words behind my NaNo word count target due to - told you there would be excuses at some point - visitors, illness (mine and the Ent's) and Pickle smashing her face on the side of our bed this morning (she's over it; I'm nowhere near). She's got her first fat lip and she's still dribbling blood, but our saviour arnica has reduced the forehead marble to half a pea and her cheese-and-raisin obsession is unharmed, so really she's fine.

I've raved about the wonders of Chagfood here before. The Observer recently ran an article about Ed, Samson and co, which I heartily recomend: Inspired by the Levellers (not the band) Ed Hamer's radical vision of farming involves a commitment to making the land work for the people. And it helps to have a big horse
Do have a read if you've got a minute - it's so refreshing to hear positive news about people acting from conviction, intelligence and not a little courage, and I'd really appreciate it if you listened to my story and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having your story broadcast! I'll try andlisten to it at some point!

    Thanks for the link to the Observer article, too. Very inspiring to hear about agricultural projects like that! Plus also a bit of inspiration for my NaNoWriMo writing, one of the strands of which is about people making a living on the land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big horse is useful for all sorts of things. Even just to talk to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done,thats fantastic news, congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for adding your words to mine, one and all.
    CGP, I'm also always on the lookout for ad hoc research for my book. Glad you could use this.
    gz, I think Samson gets used for conversation more than Ed would readily admit!
    And Ronnie, thank you for your support. It's been lovely finding your comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just listened to 'The Clown' and absolutely loved it. Well done Lunar!

    I'm also sending you a pdf of my current favourite short story by Roberto Bolano.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chrisky. I deliberately told you all about it before I listened in case it was awful, but I'm pleased with it and the way it was read. Looking forward to the Bolano. See you soon :o).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...